The final thing I feel I need out of all the gear I’ve bought for the trip is an external microphone for the GoPro. The internal one sucks when it’s in the case, which is no use to me when I’m cycling, so I bought a little T shaped stereo mic for €45 (a bit steep I’ll admit, but not that much more than on Amazon/eBay and I bought in a local shop). Coupled with the GoPro mic cable (a whopping €25 because the clever folks at GoPro use a 10 pin USB jack rather than the standard 5 pin) and I’ve a tidy little setup. I had to drill a hole in the case so it’s no longer waterproof, but I don’t think it’s a huge problem as I don’t intend on using it much in the rain or submersing it in water.
There are other blogs out there that go through DIY methods of doing this, and I tried a couple of them but couldn’t get it to work. I then also tried the cheap method of getting a non-genuine cable from eBay. Nope. Losing my patience with eBay sellers lately. So much rubbish out there. Moral of the story, it costs more, but saves time and money in the long run to get the official parts.
Below are some shots of the mic fitted and the hole I drilled. It works really well. I recorded a video cycling through town last night but my stupid computer keeps crashing when I try to take it off the SD card.
Not long to go now! 🙂